Long pepper (Eng.)- Here pepper stands for spirit or the energy
- Magadhi- A plant that generally grows in Magadha constituency (Region covering the area of Bihar and West Bangal in India)
- Vaidehi- Means this plant grows successfully in Videha region (Southern Nepal)
- Krishna- As it is normally with Krishna (black) color
- Kana- As its fruits are embedded in the surface of a flower spike in the form of minute projections
- Chapala- Means it is very sharp in character
- Teekshna tandula
- Ushna- As it is having Ushna/ Katu (Pungent taste)
- Upakulya- As it generally grows near watery areas
- Kola- As its flower spikes having fruits on it weigh one Kola (6gm) in general
Piper longum - Piperaceae
- Rasa (Taste) - Katu (Pungent)
- Guna (Characteristics) - Laghu (Light); Snigdha (Unctuous); Teekshna (Sharp)
- Veerya (Potency) - Anushnasheeta (Neither warm nor cool)
- Vipaka (Post digestion effect) - Madhur (Sweet)
Chemical composition of Pippali Powder:
Long pepper Powder contains less essential oil than its relatives (about 1%), which consists of sesquiterpene hydrocarbons and ethers (bisabolene, β-caryophyllene, β-caryophyllene oxide, each 10 to 20%; α-zingiberene, 5%), and, surprisingly, saturated aliphatic hydrocarbons: 18% pentadecane, 7% tridecane, 6% heptadecane.
Effect of Pippali on Tridoshas:
Long pepper Powder pacifies Kapha and Vata Doshas i.e. useful in management of diseases having their origin in aggravated Kapha/ Vata or Both.
Home Remedial Uses of Pippali in Ayurveda:
- Shwas-kasahara- it works as broncho dilator, decongestant and expectorant.; Long pepper is the best Ayurvedic herb for Asthma, respiratory allergy. cough and other respiratory problems.
- Hikkanighrana- It is a pacifier of the Vata Dosha specially the Udan Vata which is responsible for hiccups, asthma and respiratory problems. So it is a natural herbal remedy for hiccups
- Shirovirechana- Shirovirechana means to cleanse the head and neck regions off aggravated Doshas. Long pepper Powder is the best Ayurvedic herb to remove aggravated Doshas and toxins from head, respiratory system and adjoining body parts.
- Vamana- Vamana is a Panchakarma procedure which involves removal of aggravated Doshas through mouth. Long pepper is a natural remedy fro detoxification.
- Triptighna- Deepana- Long pepper Powder possesses dilating effect on all channels of the body and stimulates secretion of digestive juices, it is a natural remedy for loss of appetite and tastelessness.
- Shoolaprashamana- It corrects the working of the digestive system and alleviates all pains associated with the disturbed digestion.
- Vrishya- Long pepper is an aphrodisiac Ayurveda herb.
- Rasayana- As said above Long pepper Powder opens all the micro channels of the body which helps in proper nutrition to all parts of body so it is a good nutritional supplement.
- Kushthahara- Long pepper Powder benefits in all skin diseases.
- Pramehahara- It is one of the best herbal metabolism booster which makes it a good dietary supplement for diabetes and other metabolic disorders
- Meda vinashini- Proper metabolism will help in removing the toxins and burning fats. Long pepper is natural remedy for burning fat and detoxification.
- Krimiroganut- It also works well in diseases originating from bacteria and other infectious agents.
- Pleehaghna- Long pepper Powder benefits a lot in diseases of liver and spleen.
Health Benefits of Pippali:
- Primarily used for cold, wet and ‘mucusy’ conditions of the lungs. Long pepper encourages vasodilatation and therefore increases circulation, specifically to the lungs. Used with honey in asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia and compromised immunity in the respiratory system.
- Clinical studies show that that piperine increases the absorption of curcumin in Turmeric root (used at 1:10). Its anthelmintic qualities are used as part of a formula to kill worms, amoebas and parasites. It helps to treat diarrhea from cold symptoms and constipation
- Long pepper Powder has a hepatoprotective effect that may benefit fibrosis.
Useful part of Pippali:
Doses of Pippali:
Powder 1/2-1 gm
Some combinations with Pippali:
Guda pippali, Pippali khanda, Pippalyaasava
Some important notes about Pippali:
- Long pepper Powder is the best medication among the plants those are appetizer, digestive stimulant, and anti flatulent.
- Long pepper powder should be taken with honey to get rid of unwanted fat and maintain normal body weight.
- In chronic fever Pippali powder should be taken with jaggery.
- Taking Long pepper powder with castor oil and cow urine is very effective in management of neuralgic conditions specially the Sciatica.
- Here in Ayurveda a formulation of Pippali named Pippalivardhaman rasayana is mentioned in which Pippali powder is taken in regularly increasing dose. This Rasayana is very effective in management of Splenomegaly (Enlargement of spleen)