- Arjuna- Means the white one, bright or clear. It is a plant that makes body and mind clear, spotless and clean of all impurities. Such an empty and stainless mind is ready to receive divine wisdom and the highest understanding. In the Rig Veda, the clear, sunny and bright day is referred to as arjunam.
- Dhawal- Means "pure white" in Sanskrit. Because of the fact that it makes the body pure and its bark is also white.
- Kakubha- Means wide spread, because of its big size
- Indradru- Means big plant
- Veervriksha- Means a plant with strength
- Nadeesarja- Means a plant that is generally found on the banks of rivers
Terminalia arjuna- Combretaceae
- Rasa(Taste)- Kashaya(Astringent)
- Guna(Characteristics)- Laghu(Light); Ruksha(Roughness)
- Veerya(Potency)- Sheeta(cool and calm)
- Vipaka(Post digestion effect)- Katu(Pungent)
- Prabhava(Specific action for which there is no explanation as it is the inherent character of it)- Hrudya(Cardiac tonic)
Effect of Arjuna Powder on Tridoshas:
It pacifies the Kapha and Pitta so it is very useful in management of diseases having their origin in either Kapha/ Pitta or both.
Home remedial Uses of Arjuna Powder in Ayurveda:
- Hrudya- The best Ayurvedic Dietary supplement for heart muscles, it heals the muscles and keep the heart healthy.
- Udard prashamana- It cleanses and detoxifies the body. So it is the best natural Ayurvedic remedy for urticaria, even the urticaria of unknown cause.
- Kshatajit- It is one of the best Ayurvedic herb to promote proper healing of the wounds.
- Kshayajit- It provides the nutrition to the deepest levels of the body.
- Medohara- Arjuna has some great effect on the burning of the extra fat from the body, it also lowers the cholesterol. These two- good for heart muscles and cholesterol lowering effect makes Arjuna a herb of choice to prevent the cardiac disease
- Mehahara- This rectifies the slow metabolism and corrects the metabolic flaws from the system.
- Bhagnajit- An Ayurvedic herb to promote proper healing of fractured bones thus a good choice in osteoporosis as well as in prevention of osteoporotic changes in older women specially. A daily dose of Indradru can keep the osteoporosis on a bay in females.
Research done on Arjuna:
Research suggests that Terminalia Arjuna is useful in alleviating the pain of angina pectoris, and in treating heart failure and coronary artery disease. So in this age of cardiac diseases, Nadeesarja prove to be a herb to keep at home, so that your heart will go on....
Terminalia arjuna exhibits cardioprotective because of the antioxidant nature of several of the constituent flavonoids and oligomeric proanthocyanidins, while positive inotropic effects may be caused by the saponin glycosides.
Terminalia may also be protective against gastric ulcers, such as those caused by NSAIDs
One study demonstrated that the aqueous extract of the bark of Terminalia Arjuna could protect the liver and kidney tissues against CCl4-induced oxidative stress probably by increasing antioxidative defense activities.
Useful part of Arjuna:
Powder of the old bark of the Stem
Doses of Arjuna Powder:
Powder- 3-6gms; Decoction with water-50-100 ml; Decoction with milk-5-10 ml or as per the Consultancy by a physician of our team. Consult Ayurvedic Physicians
Best Recommended Uses of Arjuna Bark Powder in Ayurveda:
In heart diseases milk boiled with Arjuna bark Powder should be taken with sugar/ decoction of Panchamoola/ Bala/ Madhuka
In fracture Arjuna tea with milk (Ksheerpaka) fastens the healing process.
When one takes Indradru bark powder with milk/ clarified butter/ jaggery, he enjoys the whole life free from diseases.