East Indian Globe Thistle (Eng)
Sphaeranthus indicus – Compositae
- Rasa (Taste) – Tikta (Bitter); Katu (Pungent)
- Guna (Characteristics) – Laghu (Light); Ruksha (Un- unctuous)
- Veerya (Potency) – Ushna (Hot)
- Vipaka (Post digestion effect) – Katu (Pungent)
Chemical composition of Gorakhmundi Powder:
Methyl chavicol, a-ionone, d-cadinene, p-methoxy cinnamaldehyde as major constituents and a-terpinene,citral, geraniol, geranyl acetate, b-ionene, sphaerene, sphaeranthine as minor constituents of essential oil have been identified.
Effect of Gorakhmundi Powder on Tridoshas:
Gorakhmundi Powder pacifies all the three Doshas i.e. it can be used in all the diseases resulting from aggravation of any of the Doshas.
Home Remedial Uses of Gorakhmundi Powder in Ayurveda:
- Medhya: In Ayurveda terminology; Medha means the retention power of brain and a supplement which improves this retention power is termed as Medhya. Sphaeranthus indicus Powder is one of the best Ayurveda herb to improve memory.
- Ganda- Apachihara: In Ayurveda; Ganda and Apachi are the enlarged lymphatic nodes in different parts of body. Sphaeranthus indicus Powder is useful in such growths in any part of body.
- Apasmarnashini: As said above Sphaeranthus indicus Powder improves the working of brain; it is a dietary supplement for seizures and epilepsy.
- Shlipadanashini: In Ayurveda; Shlipada is a disease where the feet of the patient become swollen and hard like stone; it is compared with elephantiasis caused by filarial worm. Sphaeranthus indicus Powder corrects the fluid mechanism of body; ensures proper cleansing of extra fluids from lower parts of body and creates unfavorable environment for filarial worms; is useful in inflammation and edema of foot like in filariasis or elephantiasis.
- Pleehahara: Sphaeranthus indicus Powder is one of the best herbal remedy for enlarged spleen.