Ram's horn (English)
- Meshashringi: As its fruits are of the shape of the horn of ram.
- Madhunashini: As it destroys the sensation of sweet taste. In this sense it is so much effective that when a fellow take a spoon full of sugar after keeping Meshashringi powder on tongue; he will feel like he is having some sand powder without any taste. Here Madhu can also be understood as the high blood sugar in diabetes
- Gurmar: Means that kills jaggery; here also jaggery stands for sweet taste. It also signifies beneficial role of Madhunashini in Diabetes
Gymnema Sylvestre – Asclepiadaceae
- Rasa (Taste): Kashaya (Astringent); Tikta (Bitter)
- Guna (Characteristics) - Laghu (Light); Ruksha (Un- unctuous)
- Veerya (Potency) - Ushna (Hot)
- Vipaka (Post digestion effect) – Katu (Pungent)
Chemical composition of Gurmar Powder:
The major bioactive constituents of Gurmar Powder are a group of oleanane type triterpenoid saponins known as gymnemic acids. The latter contain several acylated (tigloyl, methylbutyroyl etc.,) derivatives of deacylgymnemic acid (DAGA) which is 3-O-glucuronide of gymnemagenin (3, 16, 21, 22, 23, 28-hexahydroxy-olean-12-ene) 2. The individual gymnemic acids (saponins) include gymnemic acids I-VII, gymnemosides A-F, gymnemasaponins
Gurmar leaves Powder contain triterpene saponins belonging to oleanane and dammarene classes. Oleanane saponins are gymnemic acids and gymnemasaponins, while dammarene saponins are gymnemasides. Besides this, other plant constituents are flavones, anthraquinones, hentri-acontane, pentatriacontane, ? and ?- chlorophylls, phytin, resins, d-quercitol, tartaric acid, formic acid, butyric acid, lupeol, ?-amyrin related glycosides and stigmasterol. The plant extract also tests positive for alkaloids. Leaves of this species yield acidic glycosides and anthroquinones and their derivatives.
Gymnemic acids have antidiabetic, antisweetener and anti-inflammatory activities.
Effect of Gurmar Powder on Tridoshas:
Madhunashini Powder pacifies aggravated Kapha and Vata Dosha; so it is useful in management of diseases of Kapha/ Vata and Kapha- Vata origin.
Home Remedial uses of Gurmar Powder in Ayurveda:
- Kushtha Pranuta: It nourishes the skin; it is the best natural supplement for diabetic complications of skin like cracks, infections, itching etc.
- Meha Pranuta: Most of the diseases out there are the resultant of disturbed metabolism; the most specially the Diabetes. Gymnema is specially useful to correct the metabolism so it is the best natural supplement for diabetes. It not simply normalizes the blood sugar level but also prevents Diabetic complications.
- Deepana: Working of the digestive system and metabolism are closely related with each other. As per Ayurveda it is the digestive system from where we can directly work on the metabolism. Madhunashini is a very good Ayurvedic herb for digestive system.
- Sramsana: It works as a mild laxative so it is a useful dietary supplement for constipation.
- Krimi- Vrana- Vishapaham: It also possesses anti bacterial and anti microbial properties. This is the reason it is quite useful to prevent any infection specially in a diabetic patient.