Common Name: Kanchanar (Eng.)
- Gandari – enemy of extra growths in body;
Bauhinia variegate - Leguminosae
- Rasa: Kashaya (Astringent)
- Guna: Laghu (Light); Ruksha (Non - unctuous)
- Virya: Shita (Cold)
- Vipaka: Katu (Pungent)
- Prabhava: Gandamalanashaka (Alleviates extra growth of thyroid gland)
Chemical composition of Kanchanar:
The bark contains tannin, sugar and gum
Effect of Kanchanar on Tridoshas:
Kanchanar pacifies Kapha and Pitta Dosha so it is very useful in diseases which originate from aggravation of Kapha and Pitta Doshas.
Therapeutic Uses of Kanchanar in Ayurveda:
- Grahi: Kanchanar improves working of the digestive system and is very useful in diarrhea and dysentery
- Krimihara: Kanchanar is a very good anti infectious herb.
- Kushtha hara: Kanchanar nourishes skin and very useful in all skin diseases.
- Gudabhransha hara: Kanchanar is very useful in prolapsed of rectum
- Gandamala hara: Kanchanar in extra growth especially of thyroid gland.
- Vranapaha: Kanchanar promotes proper healing of wounds.
- Pradarnut: Kanchanar is very useful in excessive bleeding during menstrual cycle.
- Kshaya Kasanut: Kanchanar is very useful in under-nutrition conditions and cough
- Rakta Pittahara: Kanchanar is very useful in conditions involving association of Rakta and Pitta specially bleeding tendencies.
Medicinal value of Kanchanar:
- Anti Mocrobial effect: The antimicrobial effect of Bauhinia variegate leaf and bark extract was evaluated on microbial strains like Gram positive species S. aureus and B. subtilis and Gram negative species E. coli and P. aeruginosa. The solvent used for extraction of plant were Petroleum ether, Chloroform, Alcohol. The alcoholic extract of leaves of Bauhinia variegatashows maximum antimicrobial activity. The significant antibacterial activity of active extract was compared with standard antibiotic Amphicillin. The samples of leaves and bark were further used for the phytochemical studies. Results of the phytochemical analysis indicated the presence of alkaloids, oil, fat glycoside, carbohydrates, Phenolics, Tannins, lignin, saponins, flavonoids and Terpinoids. The antibacterial activities of the leaves and bark were due to the presence of various secondary metabolites.
- Phytochemical screening and antimicrobial activity of Bauhinia variegata Linn. D.A. DhalePost-Graduate Department of Botany, SSVP Santha’s L.K. Dr. P. R. Ghogrey Science College, Dhule-424005 (India)
- Chemo protective and anti Cancerous effect: The chemopreventive and cytotoxic effect of ethanol extract of Bauhinia variegata (EBV) was evaluated in N-nitrosodiethylamine (DEN, 200 mg/kg) induced experimental liver tumor in rats and human cancer cell lines. Oral administration of ethanol extract of Bauhinia variegata (250 mg/kg) effectively suppressed liver tumor induced by DEN as revealed by decrease in DEN induced elevated levels of serum glutamate pyruvate transaminase (SGPT), serum glutamate oxaloacetate transaminase (SGOT), alkaline phosphatase (ALP), total bilirubin, gamma glutamate transpeptidase (GGTP), lipid peroxidase (LPO), glutathione peroxidase (GPx) and glutathione S-transferase (GST). The extract produced an increase in enzymatic antioxidant (superoxide dismutase and catalase) levels and total proteins when compared to those in liver tumor bearing rats. The histopathological changes of liver samples were compared with respective controls. EBV was found to be cytotoxic against human epithelial larynx cancer (HEp2) and human breast cancer (HBL-100) cells. These results show a significant chemopreventive and cytotoxic effect of ethanol extract of Bauhinia variegata against DEN induced liver tumor and human cancer cell lines
- Chemoprevention and cytotoxic effect of Bauhinia variegata against N-nitrosodiethylamine induced liver tumors and human cancer cell lines. Rajkapoor B, Jayakar B, Murugesh N, Sakthisekaran D
- Anti Tumour activity: The antitumor activity of the ethanol extract of Bauhinia variegata (EBV) has been evaluated against Dalton's ascitic lymphoma (DAL) in Swiss albino mice. A significant enhancement of mean survival time of EBV-treated tumour bearing mice was found with respect to control group. EBV treatment was found to enhance peritoneal cell counts. After 14 days of inoculation, EBV is able to reverse the changes in the haemotological parameters, protein and PCV consequent to tumour inoculation.
- Antitumour activity of Bauhinia variegata on Dalton's ascitic lymphoma. by B Rajkapoor, B Jayakar, N Murugesh
- Anti inflammatory activity: In present study, we have evaluated the anti-inflammatory activity of the leaf extract of B. variegata, using three in vivo animal models: the carrageenan induced rat paw edema, cotton pellets induced granuloma formation, and adjuvant induced arthritis in rat. Both the ethanol extract and the petroleum ether fraction obtained from this extract demonstrated activity in all the three bio-assays. The activity was found to be more pronounced in the petroleum ether fraction. These bio-activities compared favourably with diclofenac sodium, which was used as positive control, and confirms the traditional usefulness of this plant for the treatment of both acute and chronic inflammatory conditions.
- In Vivo Study for Anti-inflammatory Activity of Bauhinia variegata L. Leaves Santanu Saha, E.V.S. Subrahmanyam, K.S. Chandrashekar and Shashidhara C. Shastry
Useful part of Kanchanar:
Bark and flowers;
Doses of Kanchanar:
Powder of bark: 3-6 gm; Decoction: 40-80ml;
Some combinations with Kanchanar:
Kanchanar Guggulu: Kanchanaradi Kwatha; Kanchanar gutika;
Some important notes about Kanchanar:
Kanchanar is specially indicated in extra growths in the body specially involving the thyroid gland.