Spreading hogweed (Eng.)
- Punarnava- Means that becomes a new every year or
- That makes the body new one when taken in routine because of its rejuvenating and blood purifying and enhancing action
- Shothaghni- Means that alleviates all edematous conditions
Boerhavia diffusa- Nyctaginaceae
- Rasa (Taste)- Madhura (Sweet); Tikta (Bitter); Kashaya (Astringent)
- Guna (Characteristics)- Laghu (Light); Ruksha (Rough)
- Veerya (Potency)- Ushna (Warm)
- Vipaka (Post digestion effect)- Madhura (Sweet)
Chemical composition of Boerhavia diffusa Powder:
Boerhavia diffusa Powder contains b-Sitosterol, a-2-sitosterol, palmitic acid, ester of b-sitosterol, tetracosanoic, hexacosonoic, stearic, arachidic acid, urosilic acid, Hentriacontane, b-Ecdysone, triacontanol etc.
Effect of Punarnava Powder on Tridoshas:
Punarnava Powder pacifies all the three Doshas - the bio humors in Ayurveda i.e. it is useful in management of diseases involving either of the Doshas or all the three ones.
Home Remedial Uses of Punarnava Powder in Ayurveda:
- Shophaghna- Boerhavia diffusa Powder corrects the functioning of the kidneys and healthy kidneys can expel the unnecessary fluid out of the body more effectively; so it is the best Ayurvedic herb for fluid retention.
- Vaya sthapana- Vaya Sthapana means a supplement which stops the ageing process. Boerhavia diffusa removes all the toxins from the body as well as ensures proper nutrition this is the reason it is considered one of the best Ayurvedic herb for rejuvenation.
- Swedopaga- Punarnava Powder induces sweating and removes toxins via sweat
- Anuvasanopaga- In Ayurveda Anuvasana is a type of enema with oil as main constituent; this type of enema is basically nutritive in nature. Boerhavia diffusa is adds in the effect of Anuvasana Basti.
- Deepani- Boerhavia diffusa works on the micro as well as macro level of metabolism and one is a metabolism booster natural supplement.
- Pandughni- Ayurveda stongly believes that most of the times; it is the inability of body to assimilate iron and other essential nutrients which results in Anemia and other deficiency disorders. Boerhavia diffusa Powder corrects the digestive functions for better absorption of nutrients.
- Bradhan pranut- Nourishing character and digestive support by Boerhavia diffusa Powder helps in maintaining integrity of abdominal wall thus preventing any extra protrusion.
- Hruda rogahari- Boerhavia diffusa Powder is a good dietary supplement for healthy heart.
- Kasahara- Boerhavia diffusa Powder is valued highly in management of all types of cough
- Urah kshata shool pranut- Boerhavia diffusa Powder alleviate the chest pain caused by the trauma over the chest
Research done on Punarnava Powder:
- A study was designed to investigate the antihyperlipidemic activity of an aqueous extract of Boerhavia diffusa leaves in alloxan diabetic rats. Oral administration of B. diffusa leaf extract (BLEt) at 200 mg/kg of body weight for 4 weeks resulted in significant reduction in serum and tissue cholesterol, free fatty acids, phospholipids, and triglycerides.
- Antifungal activity (reduction in colony diameter) of various extracts (pt. ether, chloroform, ethyl acetate, ethyl alcohol and aqueous) of aerial and root parts of Boerhavia diffusa (Nictaginaceae) was screened against dermatophytic fungi Microsporum fulvum. The colony diameter of the target mycelial colony decreased with increasing supplementation of the phytoextract, showing the presence of significant amount of some antifungal phytochemical moiety.
- Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar, Tamil Nadu 608 002, India investigated the effects of daily oral administration of aqueous solution of Boerhavia diffusa L. leaf extract (BLEt) (200 mg/kg) for 4 weeks on blood glucose concentration and hepatic enzymes in normal and alloxan induced diabetic rats. A significant decrease in blood glucose and significant increase in plasma insulin levels were observed in normal and diabetic rats treated with BLEt. Treatment with BLEt resulted in a significant reduction of glycosylated hemoglobin and an increase in total hemoglobin level. The activities of the hepatic enzymes such as hexokinase was significantly increased and glucose-6-phosphatase, fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase were significantly decreased by the administration of BLEt in normal and diabetic rats. An oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) was also performed in the same groups, in which there was a significant improvement in glucose tolerance in rats treated with BLEt. A comparison was made between the action of BLEt and antidiabetic drug—glibenclamide (600 μg/kg). The effect of BLEt was more prominent when compared to glibenclamide.
- An aqueous extract (2 ml/kg) of roots of diameter 1–3 cm, collected in the month of May (Summer), exhibited marked protection of a majority of serum parameters, i.e. GOT, GPT, ACP and ALP, but not GLDH and bilirubin, thereby suggesting the proper size and time of collection of B. diffusa L. roots for the most desirable results.
Useful part of Punarnava:
Roots; Seeds; Whole plant
Doses of Punarnava:
Powder- 2-4 gm;
Some combinations of Punarnava Powder in Ayurveda:
Punarnavashtaka; Punarnavasava; Punarnavadu Guggulu; Punarnavadi mandura
Best Recommended Uses of Punarnava Powder in Ayurveda:
When freshly procured Punarnava in paste form is taken for fifteen days/ two months/ six months or one year, even an old person turns out to youthful with vigor and vitality.