- Shunthi- As it is very dry
- Nagar- Means it is the great medicine for business purpose
- Mahaushadha- Means it is very useful in a wide range of diseases
- Vishva bhaishja- Useful in various disorders
- Shringver- Because of its spiny structure
Zingiber officinale- Zingiberaceae
- Rasa (Taste)- Katu (Pungent)
- Guna (Characteristics)- Laghu (Light); Snigdha (Unctuous)
- Veerya (Potency)- Ushna (Warm)
- Vipaka (Post digestion effect)- Madhura (Sweet)
Effect of Shunthi Powder on Tridoshas:
Shunthi Powder pacifies Kapha and Vata Doshas so it is quite useful in diseases of Kapha and Vata origin.
Home Remedial Uses of Shunthi Powder in Ayurveda:
- Ruchya- Dry ginger Powder is a good appetizer; stimulates peristalsis movements; and support the digestive system in all aspect. This is the reason it is an important Indian spice
- Aamavataghni- Aamvata is a complex disease which is roughly compared with rheumatoid arthritis. As per Ayurveda; in this disease; there is accumulation of the harmful toxin in the body which creates hindrance in working of the Vata Dosha and result in different symptoms similar to RA. Dry ginger Powder stimulates the digestive fire and boosts metabolism; it is the disturbed metabolism which is responsible for Aamavata. So it is the best Ayurvedic remedy for Rheumatoid arthritis.
- Paachani- Pachan means to digest; In Ayurveda, it is not simply the digestion in digestive tract but also the tissue level digestion. Dry ginger is the best supplement for digestive problems.
- Vrishya- Dry ginger Powder is a good aphrodisiac Ayurvedic herb.
- Swarya- Ayurveda recommends it as one of the best natural supplement to improve voice.
- Shwas-kasahara- Working of the respiratory system are greatly influenced by the metabolism of a fellow; according to Ayurveda it is the resultant of disturbed metabolism which results in deposits of mucus in respiratory system. Dry ginger Powder proves to be one of the best Ayurvedic remedy for Asthma.
- Hrudyarogahara- Working of the heart and respiratory system are closely related with each other. Besides this; body metabolism also influences the whole circulatory system. Dry ginger is a recommended supplement for heart diseases.
- Shophaghna- Shophaghna means which alleviates fluid retention. Dry ginger is among the best Ayurvedic remedies for fluid retention.
- Bhedani- Dry ginger softens the impacted stool making it easy to pass
- Sheetapittahara- Dry ginger Powder helps in management of urticaria
- Gudakilaharam- Dry ginger Powder useful in management of hemorrhoids, Ayurveda clearly tells that hemorrhoids are the resultant of disturbed digestive system and Shunthi is one of the best herbs to correct digestive system.
Health benefits of Shunthi Powder:
- The characteristic odor and flavor of ginger root is caused by a mixture of zingerone, shoagoles and gingerols, volatile oils. The gingerols increase the motility of the gastrointestinal tract and have analgesic, sedative, antipyretic and antibacterial properties.
- Dry Ginger has been found effective by multiple studies for treating nausea caused by seasickness, morning sickness and chemotherapy.
- One study suggested that Dry ginger may have a synergistic effect on anti-platelet aggregation in hypertensive patients when used in combination with nifedipine. More study is warranted in this area.
Useful part of Shunthi Powder:
Shunthi Powder is contraindicated for persons with kidney stones, skin diseases, anemia, painful urination, bleeding tendencies, ulcers, fever; and in summer and early autumn.
Doses of Shunthi:
Powder- 1-2 gm;
Some combinations of Shunthi Powder in Ayurveda:
Aardraka khanda, Panchasama churna, Samasharkara churna, Rasnadi kwatha, Saubhagya Shunthi paka
Best Recommended Uses of Shunthi Powder in Ayurveda:
- Because of its warm potency and sharpness Shunthi should not be taken in anemia, painful urination, bleeding tendencies, ulcers, fever; and in summer and early autumn.
- Taking Shunthi and Gokshura decoction is very helpful in management of rheumatoid arthritis, pain in back and indigestion.
- Decoction of Shunthi should be taken in cough, respiratory discomfort and pain in chest.